Saturday, August 20, 2011

Remake #1

So remember how I said I wanted to remake some of my old clothes...well I finally did! Well, I remade one thing at least.

Before

I bought this dress during my service at JCP. It came with a cute little black waist belt. I fell in love with the shape of the dress when I tried it on. However, now it's too big, too short, too big of openings at the sleeve and too wide of a neckline. Too many problems to try and fix. So instead of fixing and keeping it a dress....I just turned it into a skirt.

After

Here's just a little step-by-step of what I did...and what I shouldn't have done.

Step 1. I decided how wide I wanted the waistband to be. I figured 2" would be good. So, I folded the dress in half and measured a line 4.5" above the already sewn yoke line.


Step 2. I carefully cut along that line. This is where I made my first mistake...


Word of caution, UNZIP the dress before you cut through the zipper. Otherwise you'll end up with this:



And it's impossible (at least for me) to get the pull tab back on the zipper.
Well, I didn't have a plan B...and no buttons...and I didn't want to put in another zipper...so I decided I'd just wiggle into the skirt and take out the zipper and sew up the seam.


I did as skinny of a seam as a dared since there wasn't going to be any kind of closure.


Step 3. I folded down the waistband a half inch, then again two inches. Then I slip stitched the whole thing. Well, I started slip stitching then got tired of it so I blind stitched the rest. (much faster and easier but maybe not as effective.)





Okay I know it's not too exciting...but I'm excited to have another skirt to wear!

Also, I very much enjoyed taking all these pictures, I hope you enjoy them. :)

3 comments:

  1. Super cute! Bailey just finished a sewing class. She really enjoys it, and has made some really cute things. I hope she keeps learning, so she can do stuff like this someday. Awesome idea, and the skirt is really flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace are you serious?! That is amazing. I am always so awed by how talented you are...why are you my friend again? ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tricia! I'm excited for Bailey and her sewing class, sewing is awesome! Megan, haha it wasn't too big of a deal :) But thanks! I am your friend because you are awesome, sure wish I saw or talked to you more!! I miss my girly friends.

    ReplyDelete