Friday, September 23, 2011

Garlic

Yesterday, I made and canned salsa for the first time. It was so much work and I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. I have never chopped so many vegetables at one time. Well, I went shopping for the ingredients by myself and purchased what I thought were ten cloves of garlic. I went to my parent's house so my mom could help me. Good thing she did too, because I learned that a clove of garlic looks like this...

and a bulb looks like this...

 

As you may of guessed, I thought that a clove was a bulb so I purchased ten bulbs! I'm sure to most, this would seem very obvious and stupid. However, I have never been taught about garlic bulbs and cloves. I just assumed that the pile of garlic at the grocery store was a pile of cloves...not bulbs...especially since I've never heard of a garlic bulb. This would explain why a pasta dish I made tasted so gross...I put in two bulbs of garlic instead of two cloves. Whoopsie. :) It's a very good thing that I did the salsa with my mom because otherwise, I would have put ten bulbs of garlic in the salsa instead of ten cloves like the recipe called for. I feel so silly. Now I have 9 bulbs of garlic to try and do something with. I left some with my mom thankfully, so I ended up with four or five. Any ideas on what to do with garlic? I've got plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment